To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Am I Right About Lack of Copyright Protection?

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, cori67, Sparrow, beaedwards, RedBaron

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Am I Right About Lack of Copyright Protection?

Postby lish1936 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:04 am

The American Society of Journalists and Authors is trying to get additional protection for authors against copyright infringements for articles, etc. that are posted on the Internet. In the past, I've had two requests for free reprints. However, am I correct in assuming that there is really no way to know if articles listed as read are being used on other sites without my knowing it?

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

itsjoanne

Re: Am I Right About Lack of Copyright Protection?

Postby itsjoanne » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 am

You can google your name on occasion (assuming they use it) or the title of your article if it's unique enough and search through what you find - but other than that, no, I don't think there IS a way of knowing for sure.

But that goes for ANYTHING you put on the internet - not just free reprints.

Others may have more insight than I do.

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Am I Right About Lack of Copyright Protection?

Postby Come forth » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:07 pm

There is this simple tool that removes almost all of our protection; it's called copy and paste.

Go to one of your articles, highlight, right mouse click and copy... open a new Word window and paste. Anyone can do that and then submit it somewhere as their own work. This even works with our Challenge entries.

Integrity for some is not an issue, legal rights are extremely hard to enforce, lack of renown as a writer makes it harder yet and becoming aware that it has even happened is remote at best... particularly if the thief/plagiarist has only used it in a small circulation/group.

I've heard many a person say, even strong Christians who defend this by saying that God is the real owner and author anyway, that 'copyright' means they have a right to copy.

I used to fear this and a famous case was that of the poem 'Footprints' by Margaret Fishback Powers. This poem has traveled the world and is on posters everywhere as 'anon'; short story, she lost a copy, someone found it, published it, end of story.

Now days I simply pray that God uses my writing to His purpose where and however; think of the millions touched by 'Footprints' and the fact that it may never have succeeded if not used in the way it was.

The only really save way to ensure that nobody shares what you have written with anyone else, unless they get your permission first, is to not share it yourself in the first place; and obviously as writers we would defeat our purpose of writing.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Return to Open Forum