To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Your publishing journey question

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, Sparrow, RedBaron, cori67, itsjoanne, beaedwards

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Your publishing journey question

Postby Toni Hammer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am

In my perfect world, FW would be a catalyst for me to write more often and eventually get published and paid to write on a regular basis. As I'm just in the baby stages of this journey, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to go about pursuing getting published? Or maybe someone is willing to share snippets of their writing success story?

I'm not meaning to be nosy or anything--just looking for encouragement from those who have gone before me. :thankssign
Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.

--Psalm 144:1

http://www.christianmarriedmom.com

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Your publishing journey question

Postby RachelM » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Great question! I'm also in the baby-stages of the journey, and I look forward to hearing what others have to say on the topic.

I took the "Writing Essentials" course through the Christian Writer's Guild and I will be starting the next course soon. I've heard many testimonies of people getting their work published after going through their courses and I believe it. They are recommended by Moody Publisher's.

I believe that taking these online courses and being an active member here at FW, is the best road for me to grow as a writer.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Mine's been a bit strange lol. I lost my nanny job while pregnant with No. 2 - our son Josh, who is now 9. I was blessed to have two nanny jobs where I was able to bring our daughter. However, it wasn't going to work out with taking two. Ended up a blessing in disguise. I thought I had another nanny job lined up, but decided it wasn't going to be worth the drive.

I started looking for ways to make money from home. Decided to try freelance writing, because a friend of mine had had success with it and I was good at writing in school, but didn't really know if I was "good enough" to make money at it, or to some day get one of my novels published. My first search landed me at FW and I discovered the Writing Challenge. Funny thing - I thought the prize was a weekly prize, not yearly. I thought it was worth a shot.

I placed 3 in Beginners with something I threw together in a few minutes and entered. It was the confidence boost I needed to pursue the writing thing. I became a regular for the Challenge, only missing when I was judging (back when we took turns).

I got an invitation to write an article through the PM service (the only paid part I had at the time, not a full FW 500 Membership). It was a non-paid, but the experience was good and lead to them offering me a paid job, before I even finished the first project. Someone sponsored me for the FW 500. Then once I was making fairly regular money,

I went from small project to small project. Finding other online writing jobs, through word of mouth. Most of it was ghost/content work. I also began editing. Found myself starting to work for a local small publisher/vanity press.

I've been in one Challenge book, one to come out (hopefully - no hurry, Deb) soon. I've had some magazine articles, some print, some online. I'm still working toward getting my name on the outside of a novel, some day. I did have a part in Amy's Peculiar People project, Struggle Creek.

So yeah, all over the map and definitely a straight path LOL. But,
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm not a financial success story yet but the story is certainly a valid lesson.

I was in prison when I had my first real encounter with Jesus; and yes, I do mean a real prison. I found the chaplain services to be very lacking when it came to meeting the spiritual needs of inmates. Sure, they visited but rules, regulations and time restraints made it nearly impossible for them to be effective.

I believe the entire idea was God, but I started a prison magazine called 'The Jailed Pen'. I wrote personal stories about my journey into faith, my struggle with facing up to my past and my fears about the future. One other inmate also did the same and I edited his content.

It started as two sheets of paper printed on both sides going around the local inmate population. It exploded. It ran for five years, became sixteen pages and in a snow storm of miracles it ended up going into prisons around the world; in countries like Zanzibar, Belgium, Spain, England and even the U.S.A. I had become a writer and editor.

When I got out of prison I really wanted to become a full time writer, but life and needing to rebuild it got in the way. About two years ago I thought I was ready and joined FW. I got a rude surprise. I wasn't ready at all.

My writing was nowhere near good enough and all those well meaning folk (family, friends and church members) who told me how great I was were leading me up the garden path. I needed to go back to school and learn punctuation, sentence structor, spelling (pun intended), what makes a good poem and all about how stories flow etc. etc. etc.

I couldn't afford school but got lucky. FW became a great place to learn. This has been my schooling and has helped me to get ready for the market. Entering the Challenge, getting constructive critiques and, most powerful of all, one Dr. Dave Walker (the best writing buddy I could ask for) have been the keys to learning and improving my skills.

I'm close to launching my own website (been playing with it for awhile) and also have three books that are also close (one fiction, one poetry and one study on ancient Hebrew). But I haven't released them due to constant improvements as I learn.

Financial success isn't what it is about (although it would be nice) but it is about thanking my Dad, that is my real Dad who got me through the jail experience and gave me the ability to write, and serving His Kingdom. Everything becomes second to that.

Summary - making sure that your writing shines is really important. It is a competitive world, this world of writing, and we must never stop learning, improving and sharpening the pencil (pun also intended).

FW is a great place to do this and an important part of the pathway to success.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby tomoral » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:32 pm

I've only been writing a couple of years. Since I came to Faithwriters, in fact. I've had a couple of short stories published with Oaktara during a contest of theirs, numerous poems online and in print, and my testimony in Trials and Triumphs. My writing ability seems to be stagnant at this point, but will keep trying. Learned all I know through the Challenge contests and with help from a buddy or two, and of course, Shann.

I had a paying web content writer job for about a year, but the site closed down due to financial problems.

I went to Masters, but got permission to drop back to Advanced because my ECs came during weeks when the entries were low, I mean, really low. Never made it to 1st place in Advanced, but again, will keep trying.

I'm working on self publishing a book of short stories through Createaspace. I think that's what it's called. My fiction novel is sitting on its pages gathering dust. It scares me to death. :roll:

That's all I know!
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Toni Hammer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Wow. Thank you all so much for your encouraging stories. It seems like FW is the right place for me to be right now.

Every time a PM pops in with a new freelance opportunity I run to read it, hoping it will be my next step. I haven't found one yet that suits me which is for the best. As of now I'm just doing the Challenge and writing other things as I can to post in my Articles section in hopes someone will see it. I think for my birthday (in May) I'm going to gift myself the Christian Writer's Market Guide, if that's the correct title, and spend the summer not only writing, but submitting. I think by May, thanks especially to FW, I should have enough content to start sending stuff out.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for sharing your experiences. I've only been on FW a few short weeks and my cup runneth over with blessings already.
Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.

--Psalm 144:1

http://www.christianmarriedmom.com

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 am

There you go Toni, that's the way I got anything accomplished. You are a very good writer, you will succeed. :superhappy
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Toni Hammer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 am

Awww. Thanks Lynn!